Delightful Caramel Cake – A Delicious Recipe To Try
Caramel cake is a classic favorite that never fails to impress. And now you can make it at home too! Learn how to make this delicious and timeless dessert with this simple recipe – all you need is a few ingredients, some patience, and of course, lots of love.
A caramel cake is a type of cake made with caramelized sugar or butter and often contains chocolate. It can be either a layer cake or a sheet cake and is generally served with frosting, whipped cream, or ice cream.
Caramel cakes are believed to have originated in the United States in the 19th century. The first known recipe for a caramel cake was published in an 1876 edition of the Boston Cooking School Cook Book. Caramel cakes became popular during the early 20th century and were often made at home using box mixes. Today, they remain a popular dessert choice and can be found on the menus of many restaurants and bakeries.
If you’re looking for a delicious caramel cake recipe to try at home, look no further! This recipe for delightful caramel cake is sure to please your taste buds. Made with brown sugar, butter, eggs, and flour, this rich and moist cake is then topped with a creamy caramel frosting – it’s heavenly!
What You Need for the Caramel Cake Recipe
To make this delicious caramel cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
For the frosting, you will need:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
And finally, for the caramel sauce:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
Step-by-Step Directions on How to Make the Caramel Cake
Assuming you have all the required ingredients, follow these directions to make a delicious caramel cake:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Then, line the bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and set them aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set this mixture aside as well.
3. In a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy – this should take about 3 minutes on medium speed. Then, add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. To make the caramel sauce, start by combining the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook this mixture until the sugar has dissolved completely, then continue to cook it until it becomes a light amber color this will take 5 to 7 minutes total. Once the desired color is reached, carefully add in the heavy cream (stand back when doing this as it will cause the mixture to bubble up). Stir until well combined, then remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
5. Now it’s time to assemble the cake! Begin by adding half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Then add half of the cooled caramel sauce and mix again. Repeat these steps until all ingredients are used up be sure not to overmix.
Tips and Tricks to Perfecting the Caramel Cake Recipe
1. When making the caramel, be sure to use a heavy-bottomed saucepan to prevent burning.
2. Cook the caramel over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a light amber color.
3. Be careful not to overcook the caramel, as it will become bitter.
4. To get a smooth and creamy texture, add the milk to the caramel slowly while whisking vigorously.
5. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting, otherwise, the frosting will melt and run down the sides of the cake.
Variations on the Caramel Cake Recipe
There are many ways to make a caramel cake, but this recipe is for a delicious and moist version that is sure to please. The key to making a great caramel cake is to use good quality ingredients and to follow the directions carefully.
When it comes to the cake itself, you can use any type of yellow or white cake mix. If you want to make things easier on yourself, you can even use a box mix. Just be sure to follow the directions on the box.
Once you have your cake mix, you will need to add some additional ingredients. For this recipe, you will need 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 3 eggs, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. These ingredients will help to create a rich and moist cake.
After you have mixed all of your ingredients, it’s time to start baking. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Pour your batter evenly into the pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once your cakes are baked, let them cool for a few minutes before removing them from the pans. Place them on wire racks to cool completely. Once they’re cooled, it’s time to make the frosting.
Caramel cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. Not only does it taste delicious, but it is also easy to make at home and looks breathtaking when served.