Are you a fan of Tex-Mex cuisine? Do you love comfort food that brings back memories of home? Then get ready to tantalize your taste buds with one of Lone Star State’s most beloved dishes: Chicken Spaghetti! And not just any chicken spaghetti, but the famous recipe from Homesick Texan herself.
In this blog post, we’ll show you step-by-step how to make this classic dish that is sure to become a favourite in your household. So grab your apron and let’s get cooking.
If you’re from Texas, chances are you know about the Homesick Texan’s chicken spaghetti. It’s a classic dish that has been passed down from generation to generation, and it’s one of those dishes that just seems to get better with age.
Chicken spaghetti is a simple dish made with spaghetti noodles, chicken, tomatoes, and a variety of spices. It’s a hearty dish that is perfect for a winter night, and it’s also one of those dishes that can be easily adapted to your liking.
If you’ve never had chicken spaghetti before, or if you’re looking for a new twist on an old classic, then this recipe is for you.
Ingredients and Equipment Needed
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 lb. dry spaghetti noodles
- 1 (10 oz.) can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large pot, cook the spaghetti noodles according to the package instructions.
3. While the noodles are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil.
4. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides and cooked through about 8 minutes.
5. Once the chicken is cooked, add the garlic, onion, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chilli powder, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together and bring it to a simmer.
6. Drain the cooked spaghetti noodles and add them to the chicken and sauce mixture in the skillet. Stir everything together until well combined then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
7. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over top of the pasta then bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Tips for Making the Best Chicken Spaghetti
Chicken spaghetti is a Tex-Mex classic that is perfect for a hearty winter meal. To make the best chicken spaghetti, follow these tips:
1. Use a good quality chicken. Chicken breasts are the best choice for this dish, but you can also use thighs or drumsticks. If using frozen chicken, be sure to thaw it completely before cooking.
2. Season the chicken well with salt and pepper before cooking. This will help to flavour the dish and keep the chicken moist.
3. Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. This will ensure that it doesn’t get mushy when mixed with the sauce and chicken.
4. Use a flavorful tomato sauce in your chicken spaghetti. A homemade sauce is always best, but you can also use a good quality jarred sauce if you’re short on time.
5. Be generous with the cheese. Chicken spaghetti just isn’t complete without a thick layer of melted cheese on top.
Variations on the Recipe
There are many ways to change this classic dish. For example, you could use a different type of cheese, such as cheddar or Monterey Jack. You could also add some diced green chiles for a little extra heat. If you’re looking for a vegetarian version, you could leave out the chicken and just use extra vegetables. You could also use a different type of pasta, such as fettuccine or penne. The possibilities are endless.
When it comes to chicken spaghetti, there are endless possibilities for serving. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Serve over a bed of rice for a complete meal.
- Top with shredded cheese and diced tomatoes for extra flavour.
- Enjoy as is for a simple, yet satisfying dish.
No matter how you choose to enjoy this Tex-Mex classic, we guarantee it will be delicious.
With its bold flavours, easy prep, and comforting warmth, Homesick Texan’s Chicken Spaghetti is a classic Tex-Mex dish that everyone should experience at least once. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or an indulgent weekend meal, this recipe has all the bases covered. Be sure to serve it with your favourite toppings from cheese and jalapenos to crushed tortilla chips and enjoy.