Are you a fan of bite-sized desserts that pack a punch of flavor? Look no further than cake balls. These delicious treats are the perfect combination of moist cake and rich frosting, all rolled into one compact bite. But don’t be fooled by their small size, making perfect cake balls can be tricky.
That’s why we’ve put together this ultimate guide to help you master the art of creating these delectable delights. From choosing the right ingredients to rolling techniques, we’ve got everything covered so you can impress your friends and family with perfectly crafted cake balls every time. Let’s get started.
Assuming you have never made cake balls before, this section will provide a detailed guide on how to make them. Cake balls are essentially cake that has been crumbled up and mixed with frosting, then formed into little balls and coated in chocolate. They are delicious, bite-sized treats that are perfect for parties or gifts.
To make cake balls, you will need:
- 1 cake mix (plus ingredients called for on the box)
- 1 can of frosting
- 1 package of candy melts or chocolate chips
- Optional: sprinkles, edible glitter, etc. for decoration
Here’s how to make them:
1. Bake the cake according to the instructions on the box. Once it is cooled, use a fork or your hands to crumble it into small pieces in a large bowl.
2. Mix in the entire can of frosting until well combined. The mixture should be sticky and wet, but not too runny. If it seems too dry, add a little more frosting; if it seems too wet, add a little more crumbled cake.
3. Use a small cookie scoop or spoon to form the mixture into 1-inch balls, then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Freeze the cake balls for 30 minutes so they will be firm enough to dip.
5 . Melt the candy melts or chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl or double boiler according to package directions.
What You Need to Make Cake Balls
- 1 cake mix (plus the ingredients required to make the cake)
- 1 can of frosting
- 1 package of candy melts
- Optional: sprinkles, nonpareils, or other decorations
Start by making the cake according to the instructions on the box. Once it’s baked and cooled, crumble it into a large bowl. Add the entire can of frosting and mix everything together until it’s well combined.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and use a small scoop or your hands to form the cake mixture into balls. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the candy melts according to the package directions. Dip each cake ball into the melted candy, using a fork to help lift it out. Tap off any excess and return the cake ball to the parchment paper. Repeat with all remaining cake balls.
If desired, immediately add sprinkles, nonpareils, or other decorations while the candy coating is still wet. Allow the cake balls to set at room temperature until completely firm.
Step-by-Step Guide for Making Perfect Cake Balls
Assuming you have already baked a cake and it is now cooled, you are ready to make cake balls.
1. Start by crumbling the cake into fine crumbs using your hands or a food processor. If you want your cake balls to be extra smooth, sift the crumbs before moving on to the next step.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake crumbs and frosting until well combined. You can use any type of frosting you like, but we recommend using something that compliments the flavor of your cake. For example, if you made a chocolate cake, try using a chocolate fudge frosting.
3. Use a small cookie scoop or your hands to form the mixture into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter. If the mixture is too dry and isn’t sticking together well, add more frosting until it reaches the desired consistency.
4. Place the cake balls on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so they can firm up.
5. Melt the candy coating or chocolate of your choice in a microwave-safe bowl or in a double boiler on the stovetop. Be sure to stir often so it doesn’t burn!
6. Dip each cake ball into the melted candy coating, using a fork to help lift it out and letting any excess drip off before placing it back on the wax paper-lined baking sheet.
Decorating Tips and Ideas
If you’re looking for some unique and fun ideas for decorating cake balls, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve gathered up some of our favorite tips and tricks to help you create perfect cake balls every time.
One of the most important things to keep in mind when decorating cake balls is to have fun! Let your creativity run wild and experiment with different colors, textures, and designs. The sky is the limit when it comes to cake ball decorating, so don’t be afraid to think outside the box.
Here are a few of our favorite decorating tips and ideas:
Use different color combinations to create unique designs.
- Get creative with your toppings! Sprinkles, nuts, chocolate chips, and other small candies make great toppings for cake balls.
- Experiment with different flavors of coatings. Chocolate, white chocolate, and candy melts are all great options.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes from rolled-out fondant or modeling chocolate. Then attach the shapes to the top of the cake balls using a bit of melted coating.
- Dip half of the cake ball in one color coating, then dip the other half in another color. Use a toothpick or skewer to swirl the two colors together.
Recipes for Delicious Cake Ball Variations
Whether you’re looking for a classic cake ball flavor or something more unique, we’ve got you covered with recipes for delicious cake ball variations. From rich and creamy to fruity and refreshing, these cake balls are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Classic Cake Balls: These cake balls are classic for the reason they’re rich, moist, and packed with flavor. We recommend using a chocolate cake recipe for the base but feel free to get creative with other flavors like vanilla or lemon. Once you’ve baked your cake, simply crumble it into a bowl and mix in your desired frosting.
Then roll the mixture into balls, dip them in melted chocolate, and let them set.
Creamy Cake Balls: If you want your cake balls to be extra creamy, try using a cheesecake recipe for the base. This will give them a smooth and silky texture that’s hard to resist. You can also add some fruit puree to the mix for an added burst of flavor. Just be sure to use a light hand when mixing so the balls don’t become too dense.
Fruity Cake Balls: For something truly unique, try making fruity cake balls! Start by baking a light and fluffy white cake. Once it’s cooled, crumble it into a bowl and mix in your favorite fruit puree. We love using mango or strawberry puree for this recipe.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Making Cake Balls
1. Overmixing the cake batter: Overmixing the cake batter can make the cake tough and dry. Be sure to mix just until the ingredients are combined.
2. Not using enough frosting: If you don’t use enough frosting, your cake balls will be dry and crumbly. Be generous with the frosting.
3. Using stale cake: Stale cake is much more difficult to work with and will result in dry, crumbly cake balls. Use fresh, moist cake for best results.
4. Not chilling the cake balls: Chilling the cake balls makes them easier to handle and less likely to fall apart when dipping them in chocolate.
5. Overdipping in chocolate: If you dip your cake balls too many times in chocolate, they will be very hard to bite into. Dip them once or twice, just until they are coated.
Making cake balls can be a fun and delicious way to enjoy dessert. With our ultimate guide to making perfect cake balls, we hope that you have been able to explore the possibilities for creating your own unique flavors and designs. Whether you’re looking for something sweet or savory, with our tips we know that you can make the best cake balls ever.
So what are you waiting for? Get baking today.